Margaret (Mader) Seiler
Margaret was the first child and only daughter of Dominick Jr. and Edith Mader born on September 24, 1917.
Promoted to the head of her class because she was such a good student, Margaret graduated from high school at age 16. Because of the depression she couldn’t continue school and was need to help on the farm.
Margaret married Elmer Seiler in 1941, a boy from a neighboring farm. (1) Elmer came from a family of thirteen children whose father had died in his 30’s. He always had to work even as a child and after completing 8th grade, Elmer stayed home to help run the family farm.
Two months after Margaret and Elmer’s first child, Margaret was born in 1942, Elmer went off to war. He served in the Pacific in World War II. Margaret and the baby stayed with her parents on the Mader farm until Elmer returned from the war in 1945.
The young Seiler family moved into a small two room house in the Town of Shelby, where their only son Jim was born in 1946. A few years later Elmer and Margaret build a house together on 2162 Denton St. in La Crosse. Elmer would tell Margaret what needed to be done and how to do it. Like – how to lay a hardwood floor or how to put on laths for the plaster! While they were building the house they lived in the basement.
Elmer was a carpenter by trade and also worked at the Brewery. Both jobs were seasonal so he began working for a fuel company as a technician.
Margaret was interested in the family history and she wrote about it in a letter to her grandchildren so that their great-grandparents would be remembered. All the relatives said Margaret was a lovely woman. Margaret died of cancer at age 58 on October 26, 1975. Elmer is retired and still lives in the home they built on Denton St.
- Margaret Seiler was born April 16, 1942. She is a high school teacher in Kenosha. Margaret married Robert Conrad who is a lab supervisor and chemist for American Motors Corp. They have three children.
- Kevin Conrad born in 1970.
- Kerry Conrad born in 1972.
- Craig Conrad born in 1975.
- Jim Seiler born September 2, 1946 is a lawyer in St. Louis, Mo. He is married to Sonia Gonzalez and they are the parents of two girls:
- Rebecca Seiler born in 1974.
- Christina Seiler born in 1978.