William was born in the Schnell brick house above State Road in 1916, the last child of John and Julia Schnell.
Only nine years old, Bill started working in the Schnell brick yard. “that’s how I got my crooked fingers!” he said. His school days came to an end at age 15 when he was sent to run the Boma farm of 380 acres for his father Bill farmed the land from his parents home for nine years until his marriage to Idel Miller.
Bill and Idel were married on April 26, 1941 and moved on the farm to live in the Boma brick house. At this time Bill purchased the farm from his father, John. Here, their only son, David was born on February 21, 1947. They lived on the Boma place until ca. 1965. Bill said, “A guy from Milwaukee wanted it worse than I did so I sold it to him.” The farm had been in Boma family for 100 years.
The family moved to 1718 Losey Blvd. in La Crosse where Bill and Idel still live. Bill worked for 10-15 years as ground man for the University.
- David Schnell is the only son born on February 21,
1947. He taught high school English in Menominee Falls,
WI. He presently owns a catering business in Milwaukee
and also conducts cooking classes for the college. He is
living in West Bend, WI.
Florence (Schnell) Schaefer
Florence was born December 22, 1913 to John and Julia Schnell. Florence was married on January 20, 1942 to John Schaefer and they became the parents of two children, Barbara and John Jr.
John was a salesman for Heileman’s Brewing Co.. They left La Crosse in 1946 when John transferred to Mitchell, South Dakota. In 1960 he was transferred to Mason City, Iowa where the family still resides. John passed away in January 1976 and Florence now lives alone. [update]
- Barbara Schaefer was born June 21, 1946 and is married to Dwight Kleven. Dwight owns a garage called Dale’s Service. They reside in Mason City and have two children: [update]
- Michael Kleven born in 1966.
- Lisa Kleven born in 1969.
- John Schaefer Jr. born on July 26, 1948 married Denise Hall. He works for Curries Mfg. Co. in Mason City. John and Denise have three children:
- Ryan Schaefer born in 1980.
- Adam Schaefer born in 1982.
- Jennifer Schaefer born in 1984.
Helen (Schnell) McHugh
Helen is the daughter of John and Julie Schnell born on May 6, 1911. She married Francis McHugh in 1935.
Helen and Francis were the parents of five sons and one daughter. Their children are Roger, Paul, Tom, Patricia, Danny, and William.
At first the McHughs lived in La Crosse, later moving to Onalaska and Holmen. Francis was a log hauler and then hauled milk. They had been married 35 years when Francis passed away in 1970.
Helen has worked at Arenz Shoes in La Crosse for 25 years and lives on Avon St.
- Roger McHugh was born on Oct. 27, 1937 and is married to Jean Hanson. Roger is Mayor of Holmen, WI and works in the office at Trane Co. They have three children:
- Kelly McHugh born in 1962.
- Jay McHugh born in 1964.
- Collen McHugh born in 1970.
- Paul McHugh was born in 1939. Paul was killed in an automobile accident at age of 18 in 1958.
- Tom McHugh was born on Oct. 19, 1940. He married Alice Ballet. Tom is self-employed selling heavy road equipment. They live in Eau Claire, WI and are the parents of four children:
- Paula McHugh born in 1966.
- Kimberly McHugh born in 1968.
- Tammy McHugh born in 1970.
- Matthew McHugh born in 1973.
- Patricia McHugh is the only daughter born on Nov. 25, 1942. Pat is a nun working in Campus Ministry at Stout College in Menomonie, WI She loves her work!
- Danny McHugh born on Jan.. 9, 1947 married Sharon Eide. Dan owns an Excavation and plumbing Company in Onalaska WI. Dan and Sharon have three children:
- Dean McHugh born in 1966.
- Vicky McHugh born in 1968.
- Terry McHugh born in 1970.
- William McHugh is the youngest child and lives in Holmen, WI. He is a sales representative for Westburn Supply. Bill married Nancy Sacia and they have three children:
- Nicholas McHugh born in 1979.
- Randon McHugh born in 1983.
- Adam McHugh born in 1985.
1910 – 1963
Edwin was the first child born in 1910 to John and Julie Schnell.
In a hunting accident at age 16 Edwin lost part of his arm. He was picking up his shot gun when it discharged up his arm.
Edwin served in World War II and was stationed in Greenland. He later was employed by the City of La Crosse.
Edwin was joined in marriage to Myrtle Biessel and they had four children: Steve, Susan and twins Scott and Sally.
At age 53, Edwin died of a brain hemorrhage on March 28, 1963. Myrtle remarried and now lives in West Salem.
- Steve Schnell is married to Anna who is the mother of three children by a previous marriage: Lisa, and twins Tim and Trent. Steve is a maintenance supervisor for Norplex in La Crosse and he has two children from a previous marriage.
- Mike Schnell born in 1966.
- Barbara Schnell born in 1970.
- Susan Schnell married Tony Krajewski and they reside in Onalaska. Susan and Tony have two girls:
- Michele Krajewski born in 1970.
- Kim Krajewski born in 1973.
- Scott Schnell is a twin to Sally born July 7, 1954. He is a computer engineer at Trane Co. in La Crosse. Scot married Judy Pretasky and they are the parents of three children:
- Matt Schnell born in 1976.
- Melanie Schnell born in 1980
- Kevin Schnell born in 1982.
- Sally Schnell is Scott’s twin sister born on July 7, 1954. Sally is married to Dennis Miller who is a printer. They have two sons:
- Josh Miller born in 1975.
- Justin Miller born in 1978.